Fact or myth. That’s the topic of concern for Dr. Oz today. Below, Dr. Oz shares the Top 5 diet myths that may be working against us by making us fatter! It’s blasphemy, and quite shocking actually. Who would’ve known diet soda isn’t good for diets? Plus, why not eat fat to lose fat? We know it sounds counter-productive but it’s true! Find out more below as Nerdles gives you only the best of the best of Dr. Oz news today.
Diet Myth #1: Diet Soda Is Good For Your Diet
This isn’t true! Though it may be true that diet sodas have lesser calories than regular soda, you have to ask why? How? What did they do (or rather, what did they add) to the soda to make it “diet”? In this case, artificial sweeteners have been used in place of regular sugar to lower a drink’s calorie count. However, studies have shown that the use of artificial sweeteners have actually led to weight gain. There are three reasons for this:
- Because these artificial sweeteners are about 100 times sweeter than natural table sugar, our palates become desensitized to naturally sweet foods like fruits.
- Artificial sweeteners have been shown to “trick” our pancreas into releasing insulin which is largely responsible for the hormone that makes us accumulate body fat.
- Note the word “artificial.” These kinds of sweeteners confuse our body as to whether or not we are really receiving calories. The result is that we may actually feel hungrier and less full, which of course, will cause us to eat (in this case, drink) more.
- it contains high amounts of Gamma Oryzanol which helps to burn extra sugar from your bloodstream
- it contains Omega 6 fatty acids which help decrease your appetite
- it contains plenty of antioxidants and Vitamin E
- it lowers the absorption of cholesterol
Image courtesy of Dr. Oz.