Dr. Oz and Chris Powell in one show? Now that’s a treat. We love Dr. Oz here at Nerdles as he gives the best information about weight loss and overall health. And we also love Chris Powell just as much as we watch him inspire and motivate people to be better and fitter versions of themselves on Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition. This dynamic duo now share their miracle plan to boost our metabolism for overall fitness and health.
But first, a quiz. Yes, Chris Powell sets up a simple quiz for us to answer in order to find out if we need to reboot the fire inside of us – our metabolism. Answer this questions:
- Have you lost weight before in the past only to gain it back?
- Has your recent weight loss via dieting, exercise, or other means slowed down or even stop?
- Do you skip meals often?
- Are you on very low-calorie diet right now?
- Have you removed carbohydrates from your diet?
If you’ve answered “Yes” to any of these questions, then your metabolism needs to be reset. Follow these three “foolproof” rules from Chris Powell, and you’ll be set on your way to getting that fire inside of you burning your fat from the inside out.
- The Metabolic “Power 3” Plate: Chris says to eat a small meal every 3 hours. This will constantly keep your metabolism up and running smoothly on schedule. Like a train, it’ll keep burning. Each plate you have at every meal should include 3 small portions each of protein, carbs/fats, and as many veggies as you can stuff into your mouth.
- The Metabolic Thermostat: Chris says that the thyroid acts as a sort of thermostat for our metabolism. It releases hormones into our body that helps regulate its temperature, and thus, the rate at which we can burn calories. If we can keep our thyroid functioning optimally by eating good carbs like whole grains, then the thyroid will keep our body’s metabolism running hot.
- The Metabolic Muscle: Chris says that the #1 burner of calories in our bodies is muscle. The more muscle mass we have, the greater our bodies work in burning those calories – even while we’re sleeping. So even if our gym time is up, our bodies don’t know the difference and they’ll keep burning our fats well into our dreams.
- Is our metabolism genetic? No. Though it is true that our genetic makeup does play a role in our health, our genes are not the final judge as to whether we’re fat or not. Ultimately, it’s up to us as to how we deal with the cards we were dealt. If we choose to sit back relax and get fat, well then, we shouldn’t complain. As Chris says, “Genetics loads the gun, but lifestyle pulls the trigger.”
- Is an erratic on-again-off-again diet to blame for a slowed metabolism? No. Chris says as long as we eat healthy carbs, our metabolism should work well. He cautions against bad carbs like junk foods (Flamin’ Hot Cheetos are my personal weakness), but he says we can have the occasional Dorito or two about twice a week to keep us a little bit sane. Otherwise, be sure to stick to your diet after your “cheat” days.
- Is binge eating to blame for a slowed metabolims? YES. Chris says that people who binge eat or just eat without really thinking about what they’re putting in their bodies will have a slower metabolism. Read those nutrition labels! They’re there for us and our benefit.
More of the best of the best of Dr. Oz news to come! Until then please do check out our Dr. Oz archives HERE.
Image credit: Dr. Oz.