Dr. Oz: Get Rid of Fats with MUFAs (2/7/14)
Today, The Dr. Oz Show advises us to have 1 serving of MUFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids) at every meal: coconut oil, avocados, tree nuts, olive oil and dark chocolate. And: Take a tip from NFL players. Eat yellow mustard for acute muscle spasms. And: Lactose-intolerant people can get their calcium from sesame seeds and sardines. And: Look 10 pounds lighter with colorblocking.
Instead of eating low fat, eat fat to lose fat, especially fat around the belly. Make MUFAs half of the total fat you eat. Have a serving of MUFA at every meal:
- 1/4 avocado
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp nut butter, like almond butter
- 10 olives
- 2 tbsp nuts. Most of the tree nuts have MUFAs.
Dr. Oz adds that PUFAs, or polyunsaturated fatty acids, should comprise a quarter of our total fat consumption. Oily fish like Salmon, Mackerel & Sardines are good sources.
Another fat-fighter is FBCx, alpha-Cyclodextrin, a fiber that eliminates 9 times its weight. It can get rid of up to 500 calories of bad fat a day. Take 2 grams at a time with meals, whenever you cheat, a couple of times a week. Available online.
Dr. Oz brings out his friend, 400-pound Sumo Wrestler Alex Vega. A 50-pound girl, Feena, with her “willpower,” tries to push Alex, but he doesn’t budge. With the FBCx cape, Feena succeeds in pushing Alex out of the circle.
If you lack calcium:
- your bones become weak and crack.
- you can have irregular heartbeats.
- the nerves in our body don’t talk with each other, which leads to depression.
- you can get muscle spasms
If you’re lactose sensitive, or if you’re afraid of cancer, “moo-oo-ve” over to non-dairy calcium sources:
- Dried Figs. Have them instead of dessert. Put them on fish and salads.
- Sesame Seeds. 1/4 cup gives you 1/3 of your daily requirement.
- Sardines. 1 can = 1/3 calcium need.
Dr. Oz’s Orthopedic Physical Therapist Peggy Brill, tells us how to cure sudden back pain:
- For muscle spasms, take 1 tbsp or 1 packet of yellow mustard as needed, even when you’re feeling tight. Relief lasts for 24 hours.
- For slipped disc, like pain from sit-to-stand, you need physical therapy or surgery. But for daily aches and pains, Peggy loves the white willow bark. Put 4-6 ml in water, 3x a day.
- For strained muscles, try emu oil, which has linoleic acid. $10 in health food stores or online.
What are you eating that’s #ozapproved? @margales tweets her lunch of “Chicken with mango salsa, strawberries and watermelon (:” Another woman says she had Pacific cod for lunch.
Cancer Researcher William Li, MD, of Angiogenesis Foundation tells us that 22 foods can cut our cancer risk by 50% or more. Dr. Li had lost 2 uncles to colon and liver cancers. Reduce your risk of ovarian cancer by 66% by eating 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked green vegetables. Eat 1/4 cup cauliflower or cabbage a day to halve your chances of getting cancer of the upper gut. 20% of women who get lung cancer never smoked. Cut your lung cancer risk by 62% with 2 slices a day of hard cheese, like Yalsberg, Swiss and Gouda.
That’s our review of the best of Dr. Oz today, 2/7/14. Tune in for our Valentine’s Day recap on health traps. Til then, please check out our Dr. Oz archive by using the “Search” widget on the right sidebar.
Image Credit: Dr. Oz.