Dr. Oz: Gluten Sensitivity Can Cause Confused Gut (2/18/14)
Today, The Dr. Oz Show tells us a sign of gluten sensitivity is a confused gut: constipated one day, bloated another. Avoid gluten for 2 weeks to see if you regulate. And: Earwax is a common cause of deafness. Put 5-10 drops of carbamide peroxide–available in drugstores, or mineral oil, for 3 days, to melt earwax. Use a turkey baster to flush your ear. And: Relieve acid reflux with a banana-ginger smoothie. Use overripe bananas to coat your stomach.
- unexplained weight gain
- joint pain
- irregular bowels
- “chicken skin”, or Keratosis pilaris, characterized by bumps on your skin
- other food sensitivities, particularly corn and dairy.
To get a diagnosis, go to a Functional Medicine specialist instead of taking meds for each symptom.
Protein powder is a $3 billion health craze. It is an appetite suppressant not regulated by the FDA. ConsumerLab.com looked at 16 brands and found 5 that didn’t pass for these reasons:
- too little protein.
- extra carbs, calories or cholesterol. ConsumerLab.com President Dr. Tod Cooperman says that ProLab had an extra 16 grams of carbohydrates per scoop. Nature’s Plus Spiru-tein had 7 more grams of carbs and 25 more grams of calories than it had claimed. Optimum Nutrition‘s egg product, Gold Standard™ 100% Egg Rich Chocolate–had triple the amount of cholesterol: 14, instead of 5; Dymatize Nutrition Casein Protein: 10, 0. Dymatize even had a GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) certified seal.
- lead contamination in Shakeology. Dr. Cooperman says that they’ve even found arsenic in some products. I went through the report but could not find which brand this is. This could be caused by the plant being in a contaminated area. Dr. Cooperman adds that only 1 company has issued a statement, stating that ConsumerLab is misleading the public. The Beachbody (Shakeology manufacturer) statement, available on the Dr. Oz site, distinguishes between harmful lead and naturally-occurring lead. Dr. Cooperman tells us that lead is lead.
Some of the protein powder brands that passed the ConsumerLab tests are:
- Jay Robb Whey Protein Vanilla
- Muscletech Nitro Tech Milk Chocolate
- Six Star Pro Nutrition Whey Protein Plus Triple Chocolate
- Pure Protein Shake Cookies ‘N Creme
- Genisoy Soy Protein Shake Chocolate Flavor
- The Biggest Loser Protein Powder Vanilla Flavor
- Endurox R4 Fruit Punch
You can get a 24-hour pass to the ConsumerLab report through the Dr. Oz site.
That’s our review of the best of Dr. Oz today, 2/18/14. Tune in for tomorrow’s recap on fibroids surgery, coffee enemas and the inability to make decisions. Til then, please check out our Dr. Oz archive by using the “Search” widget on the right sidebar.
Image Credit: Dr. Oz.